I have an ambivalent relationship with “About” pages. On the one hand, they are one of the first things I look for when reading a book, article, or blog. I confess that this desire is at least half old-fashioned nosiness. The other half, however, is a respectable desire to establish the author’s credibility (point of view, context, bias, whatever you want to call it).
On the other hand, I detest writing them. I always feel like I’ve misrepresented myself to the reader, either by flattering embellishments or evasive minimalism. Do I put up the Glamour Shot or the closeup of my eyes or elbow or something?
So, the best I can come up with is the equivalent of a photo album. The list below encompasses snapshots of my life. Some are closeups, but I promise I tried to keep the Glamour Shots to a minimum.
- I play a bit part in a soap opera who’s main stars are three cats named Basil, Maggie, and Marvin the Girl. They are named after my favorite herb, favorite Simpson’s character, and favorite Hitchhiker’s Guide character, respectively.
- I married Mr. Quotidian on January 18th, 2009. We still like each other. Most of the time.
- I’ve finally won Pin the Diploma on the College. I will now commence in not using my degree.
- My Christmas ornaments are one of the few things capable of making me truly sentimental.
- My agricultural clock is ticking.
- I love garden alchemy- last year’s leaves turning into garlic, manure turning into tomatoes, and slugs turning into eggs.
- My bedtime reading is a cookbook.
- I am the Sprout Whisperer. Otherwise known as the Greenhouse Manager at City Roots.
- Every three years or so I get the desire to pack up and move someplace new. When I can’t move, I rearrange the furniture.
- One of my deepest desires is to belong to a specific piece of land.
- I realize the irony implicit in the previous two statements.
- I relish finding new ways to render the grocery store obsolete.
- I enjoy the smallness of daily routines and habits. But I desire to see them become more than the sum of their parts.